LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas is one of a handful of states cut in half by the map that decides who keeps the lights on. Last week, that line mattered.
The U.S. Department of Energy declared a statutory emergency on July 26 covering the Southwest Power Pool, the Little Rock-based grid operator that manages the transmission system for the western third of Arkansas and parts of 16 other states. The order cleared SPP to fire up backup generators as a last resort to avoid cutting power to customers.
Roughly 100 miles east, Entergy Arkansas said it expected no trouble at all.
Both statements were accurate. They describe the same heat wave in the same state, on two different grid operators.
What the order does
Energy Secretary Chris Wright issued Order No. 202-26-37 under Section 202(c) of the Federal Power Act, the provision that lets the secretary compel power plants to run during a war or an emergency. SPP asked for it.
The order directs SPP to dispatch specified generating units as needed and authorizes the operator to order backup generation resources online as a last resort before declaring an Energy Emergency Alert Level 3, the stage immediately preceding rotating blackouts. It took effect July 26 and expires at 11:59 p.m. Aug. 3.
It was the second such order in a week. Order No. 202-26-36 ran July 20 through July 21.
SPP had been operating under a conservative operations advisory since July 20, extending it each day through July 24. The order cites higher than normal loads, generator outages, seasonal heat and the risk of low wind and solar output.
The closest call was not the hottest day
The sharpest moment came on Monday, July 20, in SPP’s western balancing authority, which covers Colorado and other Mountain West states rather than Arkansas.
SPP put the region under an EEA Level 1 at 4:38 p.m. Twenty-nine minutes later it had escalated to Level 3, one step short of shedding firm load. Conditions eased through the evening and the region was back to a conservative operations advisory by late that night.
The second scare came Friday, July 24, and it was structural rather than regional. SPP normally exports electricity because of its large wind fleet. But the heat covered the whole midsection of the country, so neighboring grids had nothing to spare. A sudden loss of imported power left SPP with almost no cushion. The operator avoided forced outages by asking customers to voluntarily cut back.
SPP has said the region is likely to keep seeing advisories and emergency alert conditions during high-demand periods. Its western region remains under a conservative operations advisory through Aug. 1.
Why the two halves of Arkansas had different weeks
Arkansas sits inside two regional transmission organizations, the nonprofit operators that run the high-voltage grid and the wholesale power market across most of the country.
Entergy Arkansas, the state’s largest investor-owned utility, belongs to the Midcontinent Independent System Operator. SWEPCO, Oklahoma Gas and Electric and Empire District belong to SPP. Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corp., the generation and transmission cooperative supplying all 17 of the state’s distribution co-ops, belongs to both. AECC describes the divide as MISO in the eastern two-thirds of the state and SPP in the western third.
Entergy Arkansas spokesman Matt Ramsey said Monday the utility did not anticipate reliability concerns from the heat and was coordinating with MISO.
The geographic split is misleading on its own. AECC and its member cooperatives cover roughly 62 percent of Arkansas by area but account for only about 30 percent of the state’s electric load. Most Arkansans, by customer count, are on the MISO side. The federal emergency order covered the smaller share of the state.
For southwest Arkansas, including Texarkana and Miller County, the relevant fact is the utility, not the map. SWEPCO customers are inside SPP.
The part that outlasts the heat
The temperatures are easing. The National Weather Service in Little Rock recorded 102 degrees at the airport on July 26, tying the hottest reading of 2026, set five days earlier. Heat index values were forecast to reach 115 in Clarksville and Pocahontas and 114 in Little Rock. A front moved through midweek and brought relief to central, eastern and northern Arkansas, though the southwest corner stayed hot.
The federal order does not expire until Aug. 3.
And the demand picture is moving in one direction. SPP’s own board minutes project peak load across its footprint rising from about 56 gigawatts to about 105 gigawatts over the next decade. Since 2020 the operator has received 26.4 gigawatts in load interconnection requests larger than 100 megawatts, including 9 gigawatts disclosed as data centers.
SPP has responded by building the fastest large-load connection process in the country. Its High Impact Large Load framework, approved by federal regulators in January, offers data centers and industrial plants a path to an interconnection agreement in roughly 90 days. A companion program provides seven-year non-firm service as a bridge while transmission upgrades are built. The tradeoff for that speed is curtailment. Those customers can be cut back when the system is tight.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved a broader overhaul of SPP’s planning process in March and pointed to the operator’s large-load rules as a model for other regions.
That is the tension worth watching in Arkansas. The grid that just needed two federal emergency orders in a single week to serve about 56 gigawatts is also the grid marketing itself nationally as the quickest place in America to plug in a data center. The proposed campuses in the Arkansas River Valley and along the state’s western edge sit on that side of the line.
Get the biggest Arkansas stories in your inbox
Breaking news, arrests and court updates from across the state. Free.
Confirmation email required. Powered by Mailchimp.